Hello and welcome to the FAI wiki.
This is a public wiki for FAI - Fully Automatic Installation. It is a place for users and developers of FAI to share information. If you have some information on FAI to share, please register wiki registration. Also, please read editing rules.
FAI is a tool for fully automatic (unless you explicitly wish to get some questions on each install) installation of Debian and other Linux Distributions via network, custom install cd, or into a chroot environment. Some people also use it to install Windows.
FAI works script-based as opposed to full image based (if you wish so, we can also install any kind of image) - so it is very flexible, and can be used to install very heterogeneous infrastructures. It uses a class-based system (think of classes as system types that can be combined with each other, as long as they are not technically conflicting) to define configurations in some simple textfiles.
It is also used to update running systems without completely reinstalling them with the softupdate functionality - so you have one single point of configuration for installation and updates.
- download it from: http://fai-project.org/download/
- check out the sources from git:
git clone git://github.com/faiproject/fai.git
Documentation and examples
official - from the FAI developer team
FAI in the real world
- User reports by filling out the FAI questionnaire
- Success Stories - who is using FAI, how and why - and, when available pictures of the machines installed with FAI :)
User contributed in this wiki
- helper scripts - add-on scripts that help using FAI
- user FAQ (from questions in the mailing list and on IRC #fai)
- linux-fai mailing list infos
- reporting bugs and also maybe find fixes for problems.
- other installation tools - overview of other stuff seen in the wild web
"third party" articles
- Collection of articles, presentations, videos
- Clusters build with FAI
- A visual overview of how all the pieces of an FAI installation fit together.
- Moved to Developers information