FAI is a tool for fully automatic installation of Debian and other Linux Distributions via network, custom install CD, or into a chroot environment.
FAI works script-based as opposed to full image based - so it is very flexible, and can be used to install very heterogeneous infrastructures. It uses a class-based system (think of classes as system types that can be combined with each other, as long as they are not technically conflicting) to define configurations in some simple textfiles.
It is also used to update running systems without completely reinstalling them with the softupdate functionality - so you have one single point of configuration for installation and updates.
- FAI CD https://fai-project.org/fai-cd/
- FAIme build service for customized installation and cloud images https://fai-project.org/FAIme
Documentation and examples
Official - from the FAI developer team
FAI in the real world
- User reports
- Success Stories - who is using FAI, how and why - and, when available pictures of the machines installed with FAI :)
User contributed in this wiki
- helper scripts - add-on scripts that help using FAI
- user FAQ (from questions in the mailing list and on IRC #fai)
- reporting bugs and also maybe find fixes for problems.
- Moved to Developers information