From FAIWiki
Revision as of 09:25, 28 September 2007 by Lazyboy (talk | contribs) ((interested) Participants: add communication section with list info)
Jump to: navigation, search

General Information

We would like the participants to read the DevWorkshopGuidelines first, then you can add yourself to the list of interested participants below.


This year's FAI official developer workshop will take place from 9th to 11th of November 2007 at the Linuxhotel in Essen, Germany.


As last year, the Linuxhotel in Essen/Germany gives us their nice training rooms for the meeting again. See for generic information on community events at this location(only in German language for now, sorry - important infos are here).

Sleeping, Eating, Drinking

Due to german tax laws, the Linuxhotel is not allowed anymore to give the location away for free. They have to charge these prices now:

  • Sleeping in a double room in the Linuxhotel: 15€ per night and person
  • Breakfast: 5 € per day
  • Final cleaning of the Hotel room: 5€ per Person


Sponsorship for travel cost as well as food and Hotel is being cleared at the moment. Companies interested in financing the event are invited to contact Henning or Thomas.

We want to get everything paid by sponsors - we expect people workin in companies who use FAI actively, to ask their bosses to pay the travel cost for them - sure, offerings of any further sponsoring are very welcome!

(interested) Participants

Please don't forget to let us know some contact data, especially in case you don't read the -devel Mailing list. Please In case of travel sponsorship required, please add a guess of your travel costs. (see sponsorship section for details).

  • Thomas Lange
  • Henning Sprang
  • Holger Levsen (100e travel costs from hamburg)
  • Michael Tautschnig


We can talk on the usual IRC Channel, but there's also a spcial Mailing list for announcement - you are very much encouraged to subscribe to it if you are an (interested) participant, because import information about the Even will be communicated there.

The list is kindly hosted by JPBerlin, and it's admin and subscription interface can be found at


topic proposals for discussion and work

In this section, you can enter proposals for topics to work on, and things to discuss. Please add your name and maybe contact information, if you are not well known to your proposals in case of occuring questions.

People interested in a topic should enter their name in the section of this topic to show their interest.

You can mark your topic with (D) or (W) to make clear it's a (D)iscussion or (W)ork topic.

  • Further work on a simple FAI gui (ldap-independent/storage-agnostic and easy to install) - see GUIConcept (W) --lazyboy 20:28, 16 September 2007 (CEST)
  • Work on an automated testing system for FAI - using crucible or another framework(W) --lazyboy 20:28, 16 September 2007 (CEST)
  • Bring example configs(and helper scripts, for example stuff needed for bootstrapping base images) for installing other distributions plus Windows into the fai-doc package to make it easier available for end users(W) --lazyboy 20:28, 16 September 2007 (CEST)
  • A new and improved configspace Hierarchy --lazyboy 00:21, 17 September 2007 (CEST)
  • Once more: setup_harddisks --michael


Moderator: Henning Sprang will be responsible to take care that we (roughly)keep in line with the agenda. Talk to him if you see the need for spontaneous changes in the course of the workshop.

TODO: When will we do and discuss what.

Will be defined in details by Mrfai around beginning october

In general we will have:

  • At the start of the meeting: Starting meeting - people introduce themselves, tell about their interests to work on, workgroups are built, final schedule outlined
  • Somewhere in the middle: Discussion about general ideas for the further FAI development
  • End: Discussion about progress made on the work topics - what did we reach - what will happen with the topics not done yet, how will the workgroups continue working on them