Difference between revisions of "DeveloperWorkshopAugust2008"

From FAIWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(remove message for 2007 report)
(+ category; fixed wrong header markup)
 
(24 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
= General Information =
+
== General Information ==
 
We would like the participants to read the [[DevWorkshopGuidelines]] first, then you can add yourself to the list of interested participants below.
 
We would like the participants to read the [[DevWorkshopGuidelines]] first, then you can add yourself to the list of interested participants below.
  
= Date =
+
== Date ==
 
'''8th to 10th of August 2008''' at the Linuxhotel in Essen, Germany.
 
'''8th to 10th of August 2008''' at the Linuxhotel in Essen, Germany.
  
= Location =
+
== Location ==
 
Linuxhotel in Essen ([http://www.linuxhotel.de/anreise.html Travel info, Anreise])
 
Linuxhotel in Essen ([http://www.linuxhotel.de/anreise.html Travel info, Anreise])
  
 
See http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.html for generic information on community events at this location (only in German language)
 
See http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.html for generic information on community events at this location (only in German language)
  
= Sleeping, Eating, Drinking =
+
== Sleeping, Eating, Drinking ==
  
 
Sleeping in the hotel, breakfast, coffee flatrate and drinks are included in the low fee we have to pay. We have to organize lunch and dinner on our own. Normally we manage to pay everything with the money from our sponsors, so you do not have to pay anything.
 
Sleeping in the hotel, breakfast, coffee flatrate and drinks are included in the low fee we have to pay. We have to organize lunch and dinner on our own. Normally we manage to pay everything with the money from our sponsors, so you do not have to pay anything.
  
= Cost/Sponsorship =
+
== Cost/Sponsorship ==
 
Due to german tax laws, the Linuxhotel is not allowed anymore to give the location away for free.
 
Due to german tax laws, the Linuxhotel is not allowed anymore to give the location away for free.
 
They have to charge some money:
 
They have to charge some money:
Line 25: Line 25:
  
 
* http://www.linux-ag.com
 
* http://www.linux-ag.com
 +
* http://www.lt-ec.de
  
 +
Many thanks to these sponsors!
  
== TODO: ask other sponsors==
+
== Participants/Registration ==
Potentially the ones from last time:
+
Add your name here if you intedn to participate, and for planning purposes, also mail to henning(et)sprang[dodd]de.
* http://www.b1systems.de
 
* http://www.lt-ec.de
 
* Linux Solution Park Hamburg
 
  
= Participants =
 
 
Please don't forget to let us know some contact data, especially in case you don't read the -devel Mailing list.  
 
Please don't forget to let us know some contact data, especially in case you don't read the -devel Mailing list.  
 
'''In case of travel sponsorship required, please add a guess of your travel costs.'''
 
'''In case of travel sponsorship required, please add a guess of your travel costs.'''
  
== Definitively ==
 
* Thomas Lange
 
* Henning Sprang
 
  
== Maybe: ==
+
=== Definitively ===
 +
* Thomas Lange with Luise
 +
* Henning Sprang - my worklog: [[User:Lazyboy/WorkshopEssen2008WorkLog]]
 +
* Henning Glawe
 +
* Michael Tautschnig
 +
* Andreas Schuldei
 +
* Sebastian Hetze
 +
* Sebastian Harl
 +
 
 +
=== Maybe: ===
 +
 
 +
* Boris Lingl
 +
 
 
You won't come maybe - you'll come for sure, isn't it? :)
 
You won't come maybe - you'll come for sure, isn't it? :)
  
 
+
== Communication ==
= Communication =
 
 
We can talk on the usual IRC Channel and using the linux-fai-devel
 
We can talk on the usual IRC Channel and using the linux-fai-devel
 
mailing list.
 
mailing list.
Line 54: Line 60:
 
Import information about the event will be communicated there.
 
Import information about the event will be communicated there.
  
= Agenda (1. Vorschlag) =
+
== Agenda (1. Vorschlag) ==
  
 
==== Freitag ====  
 
==== Freitag ====  
  
 
* Aufbau des Netzwerk
 
* Aufbau des Netzwerk
* Bug squashing hour bis alle da sind, Mrfai sucht Hilfe fuer Bugs
 
 
* Wenn alle da sind: Vorstellungsrunde, Agenda genauer festlegen
 
* Wenn alle da sind: Vorstellungsrunde, Agenda genauer festlegen
* Read access von /dev/beer
 
 
* Define things that need to be worked on with high priority for the Lenny release
 
* Define things that need to be worked on with high priority for the Lenny release
  
Line 68: Line 72:
  
 
* Work on things for Lenny release
 
* Work on things for Lenny release
* Meeting: Was haben wir erreicht?
+
* Discussion: Features for Lenny+1
 +
* Read access from /dev/beer
  
 
==== Sonntag ====  
 
==== Sonntag ====  
  
 
* Work on things for Lenny release
 
* Work on things for Lenny release
 +
* Work on things for Lenny+1
 
* Meeting: Was haben wir erreicht - was fehlt noch?
 
* Meeting: Was haben wir erreicht - was fehlt noch?
  
  
== topic proposals for discussion and work ==
+
=== Topic proposals for discussion and work ===
 
In this section, you can enter proposals for topics to work on, and things to discuss. Please add your name and maybe contact information, if you are not well known to your proposals in case of occuring questions.
 
In this section, you can enter proposals for topics to work on, and things to discuss. Please add your name and maybe contact information, if you are not well known to your proposals in case of occuring questions.
  
Line 84: Line 90:
  
 
* Once again: Further work on a simple FAI gui (ldap-independent/storage-agnostic and easy to install) - see [[GUIConcept]] (W) --[[User:Lazyboy|lazyboy]]
 
* Once again: Further work on a simple FAI gui (ldap-independent/storage-agnostic and easy to install) - see [[GUIConcept]] (W) --[[User:Lazyboy|lazyboy]]
* Once more: setup_harddisks (W) --[[User:Michael|michael]], Mrfai, [[User:Lazyboy|lazyboy]]
+
* Get the bug-count down to 0 (W) --[[User:Michael|michael]]
* include XEN examples? (D) (does this makes sense without using XEN kernel in FAI examples?) -- [[User:Lazyboy|lazyboy]]
 
 
 
  
== Timeline ==
+
=== Timeline ===
 
Moderator: Henning Sprang will be responsible to take care that we (roughly)keep in line with the agenda. Talk to him if you see the need for spontaneous changes in the course of the workshop.
 
Moderator: Henning Sprang will be responsible to take care that we (roughly)keep in line with the agenda. Talk to him if you see the need for spontaneous changes in the course of the workshop.
  
Line 97: Line 101:
 
* In the middle: Discussion about general ideas for the further FAI development
 
* In the middle: Discussion about general ideas for the further FAI development
 
* End: Discussion about progress made on the work topics - what did we reach - what will happen with the topics not done yet, how will the workgroups continue working on them
 
* End: Discussion about progress made on the work topics - what did we reach - what will happen with the topics not done yet, how will the workgroups continue working on them
 +
 +
 +
== Documentation ==
 +
 +
Henning's Worklog: [[User:Lazyboy/WorkshopEssen2008WorkLog]]
 +
 +
=== Änderungen, die wir wenn möglich noch für Lenny machen wollen ===
 +
 +
* Setup Storage als default einsetzen
 +
* XENU Klasse für einen Xen Gast ([[User:lazyboy]])?
 +
 +
=== Tests der Lenny Sachen: ===
 +
Auf einem mit D-I installierten lenny Server wollen wir folgendes testen und die Ergebnisse festhalten - je für i386 und amd64:
 +
 +
{| class="wikitable" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
! To test
 +
! result i386
 +
! result amd64
 +
|-
 +
| nfsroot creation
 +
| successful (henningS)
 +
| successful (henningS)
 +
|-
 +
| Netinstall (demohost, simple examples)
 +
| successful(henningS)
 +
| successful(henningS)
 +
|-
 +
| fai-cd (creation and install with demohost, simple examples)
 +
| successful with fix as described in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=494443 (henningS)
 +
| successful(henningS) ( same bug as above)
 +
|}
 +
 +
=== Infrastruktur im Workshop-LAN ===
 +
 +
sources.list Einträge für mirrors - offizielle debian lenny mirror, und temp beta fai packages:
 +
 +
deb http://192.168.2.250/debian lenny main
 +
deb http://192.168.2.250/cskoeln lenny koeln
 +
 +
 +
==== Whiteborad-DHCP ====
 +
* Thomas: *.2.250, *.2.11
 +
* Michael: *.2.2, *.2.5, *2.101
 +
* Henning G.: *.2.3, *.2.6
 +
* Andreas: *.2.4, *.2.21, *.2.31, *.
 +
* Sebastian Harl: *.2.42
 +
* Sebastian Hetze: *.2.49
 +
* Henning S.: *.2.33, *.2.34, *.2.35
 +
 +
=== Diskussion der Bugs ===
 +
 +
==== Dringende für Lenny ====
 +
Noch für Lenny, noch dieses Wochenende fertig machen:
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/487080 : schließen wir durch upload der aufs funktion mit der nächsten version
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/487866 : wird diskutiert am Samstag und dann entsprechend gefixt
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/464541 : schaut Michael Tautschnig sich an - henning g hält den patch auf den ersten blick für nicht so sinnvoll/gut
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/466690 : Im moment erwartet fai eine deterministische Reihenfolge der platten.  wenn dies nicht mehr gegeben ist mit neueren kerneln, haben wir ein Problem. Heninng Glawe hat einen Workaround, der in einigen Situationen funktioniert.
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/477564 : Henning Glawe schaut sich den nochmal an!
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/490111: ist wichtig, muss noch für Lenny gefixt werden!
 +
 +
 +
==== Dokubugs für Lenny ====
 +
Dokubugs die man noch machen könnte (später, wenn dringende Sachen gefixt sind):
 +
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=473106
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=481528
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452760
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452760
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452761
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452763
 +
 +
==== Nicht mehr für Lenny ====
 +
* http://bugs.debian.org/489546: wollen wir am Wochenende fixen, aber nicht mehr in lenny hochladen (release team schonen)
 +
 +
=== Copyright discussion ===
 +
'''TODO'''
 +
 +
=== Experimental-Open-SVN ===
 +
 +
In the copyright discussion, the idea of having a subversion branch where more people can commit came up.
 +
 +
Thomas agreed that it would be possible to have an "experimental" trunk, or something similar.
 +
For making this stuff easier accessible for testing by more users, we'd also like to have an autobuild system which builds packages in a regular time interval, and uploads them to some experimental repository.
 +
 +
The idea was to use quilt for managing such patches, but we still need a clear idea of how the workflow with this branch and the patch management system can work.
 +
Andreas knows a bit about using quilt.
 +
 +
[[Category:Meeting]]

Latest revision as of 13:13, 30 July 2009

General Information

We would like the participants to read the DevWorkshopGuidelines first, then you can add yourself to the list of interested participants below.

Date

8th to 10th of August 2008 at the Linuxhotel in Essen, Germany.

Location

Linuxhotel in Essen (Travel info, Anreise)

See http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.html for generic information on community events at this location (only in German language)

Sleeping, Eating, Drinking

Sleeping in the hotel, breakfast, coffee flatrate and drinks are included in the low fee we have to pay. We have to organize lunch and dinner on our own. Normally we manage to pay everything with the money from our sponsors, so you do not have to pay anything.

Cost/Sponsorship

Due to german tax laws, the Linuxhotel is not allowed anymore to give the location away for free. They have to charge some money:

  • If n=number of persons, overall amount of money needed: n * 60

Additional money is needed for food and travel sponsorship

We're looking for sponsors from now on, so far we have an agreement with these companies:

Many thanks to these sponsors!

Participants/Registration

Add your name here if you intedn to participate, and for planning purposes, also mail to henning(et)sprang[dodd]de.

Please don't forget to let us know some contact data, especially in case you don't read the -devel Mailing list. In case of travel sponsorship required, please add a guess of your travel costs.


Definitively

Maybe:

  • Boris Lingl

You won't come maybe - you'll come for sure, isn't it? :)

Communication

We can talk on the usual IRC Channel and using the linux-fai-devel mailing list.

Please subscribe to it if you are an (interested) participant. Import information about the event will be communicated there.

Agenda (1. Vorschlag)

Freitag

  • Aufbau des Netzwerk
  • Wenn alle da sind: Vorstellungsrunde, Agenda genauer festlegen
  • Define things that need to be worked on with high priority for the Lenny release


Samstag

  • Work on things for Lenny release
  • Discussion: Features for Lenny+1
  • Read access from /dev/beer

Sonntag

  • Work on things for Lenny release
  • Work on things for Lenny+1
  • Meeting: Was haben wir erreicht - was fehlt noch?


Topic proposals for discussion and work

In this section, you can enter proposals for topics to work on, and things to discuss. Please add your name and maybe contact information, if you are not well known to your proposals in case of occuring questions.

People interested in a topic should enter their name in the section of this topic to show their interest.

You can mark your topic with (D) or (W) to make clear it's a (D)iscussion or (W)ork topic.

  • Once again: Further work on a simple FAI gui (ldap-independent/storage-agnostic and easy to install) - see GUIConcept (W) --lazyboy
  • Get the bug-count down to 0 (W) --michael

Timeline

Moderator: Henning Sprang will be responsible to take care that we (roughly)keep in line with the agenda. Talk to him if you see the need for spontaneous changes in the course of the workshop.


In general we will have:

  • Starting meeting - people introduce themselves, tell about their interests to work on, workgroups are built, final schedule outlined
  • In the middle: Discussion about general ideas for the further FAI development
  • End: Discussion about progress made on the work topics - what did we reach - what will happen with the topics not done yet, how will the workgroups continue working on them


Documentation

Henning's Worklog: User:Lazyboy/WorkshopEssen2008WorkLog

Änderungen, die wir wenn möglich noch für Lenny machen wollen

  • Setup Storage als default einsetzen
  • XENU Klasse für einen Xen Gast (User:lazyboy)?

Tests der Lenny Sachen:

Auf einem mit D-I installierten lenny Server wollen wir folgendes testen und die Ergebnisse festhalten - je für i386 und amd64:

To test result i386 result amd64
nfsroot creation successful (henningS) successful (henningS)
Netinstall (demohost, simple examples) successful(henningS) successful(henningS)
fai-cd (creation and install with demohost, simple examples) successful with fix as described in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=494443 (henningS) successful(henningS) ( same bug as above)

Infrastruktur im Workshop-LAN

sources.list Einträge für mirrors - offizielle debian lenny mirror, und temp beta fai packages:

deb http://192.168.2.250/debian lenny main
deb http://192.168.2.250/cskoeln lenny koeln


Whiteborad-DHCP

  • Thomas: *.2.250, *.2.11
  • Michael: *.2.2, *.2.5, *2.101
  • Henning G.: *.2.3, *.2.6
  • Andreas: *.2.4, *.2.21, *.2.31, *.
  • Sebastian Harl: *.2.42
  • Sebastian Hetze: *.2.49
  • Henning S.: *.2.33, *.2.34, *.2.35

Diskussion der Bugs

Dringende für Lenny

Noch für Lenny, noch dieses Wochenende fertig machen:


Dokubugs für Lenny

Dokubugs die man noch machen könnte (später, wenn dringende Sachen gefixt sind):

Nicht mehr für Lenny

Copyright discussion

TODO

Experimental-Open-SVN

In the copyright discussion, the idea of having a subversion branch where more people can commit came up.

Thomas agreed that it would be possible to have an "experimental" trunk, or something similar. For making this stuff easier accessible for testing by more users, we'd also like to have an autobuild system which builds packages in a regular time interval, and uploads them to some experimental repository.

The idea was to use quilt for managing such patches, but we still need a clear idea of how the workflow with this branch and the patch management system can work. Andreas knows a bit about using quilt.